Thursday, March 1, 2012

No-Sew Pillow Cover









Nice pillows in fabrics that I actually like are expensive. Making your own pillow covers to switch up the look in your room is SO much more friendly on your wallet. Plus, you can use that fabulous designer fabric you love and still save money just because you did it yourself.

I have big over-sized pillows I was using in my living room that I was growing tired of. I decided to head to my local fabric store and buy some outdoor fabric for them and use them on my patio. I don't remember who the designer is but I got this fabric on mega mega sale and I love it.


You will need:
Fabric
Pillow
Measuring tape
Scissors
Sewing Machine OR Stitch Witchery


Ok, so here is the math for this project. My pillow was 26 x 26. 

1. Cut a rectangle of fabric: Length- (pillow size x 2) + 4 inches; Width- pillow size + 2 inches.
    So, my rectangle was 56 x 28.

2. Those extra 4 inches of length are for your hems and 2 inches of overlap for the envelope opening. So, "sew" your one inch hems on both of the short sides. (Don't pay attention to my super huge hems, I cut my fabric too long.)



3. I said "sew" the hems because I didn't actually do any sewing. I used stitch witchery. (picture below)        Now, I will say these pillows are for my patio and won't get thrown around by my kids. If these were going to be somewhere that would get a lot of use I would have sewn them.

I just learned that there are some people who don't know what stitch witchery is. Well, its fusible web that you iron in between your hems for a no-sew effect with a super strong hold. I love it.




4. After you've sewn your hems turn your fabric with the pretty side face down. Fold one of the hemmed ends inward. The length of your fold should be (pillow size/2) +2 inches. So, my fold was 15 inches. Then fold the opposite hemmed end inward. That fold will be the same length, so mine was 15 inches. You should have a square with your folds overlapping by 2 inches.



 5. Now, "sew" shut the two open un-hemmed ends. Once you've done that turn the cover right side out through the open slit and voila!




You should have a nice little envelope opening to slip your pillow into like so:


On a side note, I ironed over my hems once I turned the pillow cover right side out. The hems are rounded because of the stitch witchery and it just makes the pillow look prettier overall.



TA-DA!

No comments:

Post a Comment